BEING JOHN SMOLTZ
For all of us who have dreamed of being a Major League Baseball broadcaster, take a look at Twitter tonight.
When I saw John Smoltz trending on Twitter during Game 4 of the World Series, I got curious and made the mistake of tapping on his name.
Like any broadcaster, there are thoughts we agree or disagree with, but I didn’t hear him say anything extreme. So, I thought, maybe he was experiencing one of those rare social media moments in the sun and fans were gushing over his insight about the game within the game, maybe? But no. The critics were alive and well serving up a healthy dose of ugly, uninformed thoughts.
After thumbing through a handful of comments, I had enough but I was not surprised.
It’s social media. It’s sports. They are a dangerous concoction. If you are a sports fan and have a vested interest in a team or athlete, bursts of emotion will happen. I am not the exception, but an example of that behavior. Just ask my wife about how dangerous the television remote control became after Game 5 of the 2000 Subway Series (I hope I have matured).
If Smoltz is the slightest bit irritated, he needs to look no further than six feet to his left, at Joe Buck: The King of Social Media Backbiting. Buck has been the proverbial punching bag of sports fans for years.
I remember the days when I dreamed of sitting alongside Bob Murphy in the broadcast booth at Shea Stadium. This was my dream. I was certain it would be the greatest job in the world.
Not so much anymore.
I thought I’d never see such disrespect from sports analyst and especially John Smoltz like he’s in agreement with Joe Buck. Their whole focus has been on Houston maybe 90% of the time and the Braves are mentioned the other 10%. I thought the game was in Atlanta! #WorldSeries
— Bruce Hood (@brucehood277) October 31, 2021